Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Whistling Dixie

In a strange bit of solidarity, The Wife and I decided that with our next paycheck, we would buy the new Dixie Chicks CD Taking the Long Way. We actually liked the last CD, Home, quite a bit. (The Wife is big fan of the song Landslide in any version. I like Travellin' Soldier.) The sound on that CD was more O Brother Where Art Thou, then Garth Brooks. We also really appreciated what Natalie Maines said about our "Fearless Leader" and found the flack around it rather disturbing. It's not like they said they were "Bigger then Jesus." Anyway, I listened to cd through free streaming on Real Networks. I liked it. The country sound has been toned down for a more folk-pop approach. Some people I admire helped on the CD, like Neil Finn, Sheryl Crow and Pete Yorn. It was produced by Rick Rubin, who did some great work with Johnny Cash before he left us. (The Man Comes Around is an excellent single, and a great way to open the Dawn of the Dead remake.) What I really enjoyed about this CD is the anger it contains. The first single, Not Ready to Make Nice, has so much venom laced in superb harmonies and strings, it almost like Eminem meets Jewel. The part where Natalie sings about receiving death threats is pretty chilling. Other songs like Taking the Long Way and Lubbock or Leave It show the Chicks giving a collective finger to the audience that burned their CD's.

Of course, that audience is still trying to give the Dixie Chicks the "Bum's Rush. " Country stations are trying to avoid the CD like it had the "Bird Flu." I haven't really bought CD's in a long time. Too many other expenses right now to spend on anything that seems superflous. However, I will run out and buy this CD. I would hate to feel like I've been lumped into an ignorant lot by not buying.