Friday, October 13, 2006

America, F*($ Yeah!

It's been a while since I've posted, but life has tendency to knock you for a loop. I'm not going into it too much. Let's just say that the Buchanan family has moved to a new place without selling the old one, and leave it that.

Anyhoo, the reason for this post is that we got a free Showtime weekend preview at the new Buchanan household and I took great advantage. With DVR control firmly in hand, I used up valuable hard drive space with movies I had never had the chance to see or rent. Some of those movies are not The Wife's cup of tea, so I tend to pass them by, thinking that I would see them at a later date. Because of Showtime's sneak preview, I got record the following: Ichii the Killer, Gamera, Guardian of the Universe, Dexter, the Showtime Original Series, Donnie Darko, and finally, Team America, World Police.

The Wife and I watched Dexter. I had read the books the series was based on and found the show to be pretty faithful. Michael C. Hall is creepy and endearing at the same time. He is definitely not the same guy from Six Feet Under. I watched Ichii the Killer in pieces. (Which seems rather appropriate.) I found that weird and funny with some of the most absurd sound effects put to film. (The swallowing sound that Karen makes after performing an act on Ichii comes directly to mind.) I have not seen Gamera or Donnie Darko, yet, but I will.

After watching Team America, World Police, with Larry Jr, I have found my next must-buy at the DVD story. Yes the movie is sophomoric and stupid. It's from the guys of South Park. It's a movie with marionettes, for cripes sakes. I've been a fan of the TV show "The Thunderbirds" since I was knee high. This is Thunderbirds for subversives. Nobody walks away from the movie unscathed. From the Jingoistic theme song, to the bashing of Hollywood Liberals, Team America is an insane Jerry Bruckheimer actioner with songs. It's timely too, since the bad guy is that wacky North Korean Dictator, Kim Jong Il. He even has his own little ditty, "I'm So Ronery." I really don't want to go into the film too much. Explaining a comedy can give the too much away. All I can say is that there is one scene that truly gave me a "spit-take." For those who have seen the film I'll give you a hint. Here is the dialogue. "Release the panthers!"

2 comments:

Reel Fanatic said...

It's kind of scary that each day Kim Jong Il acts more and more like he did in this great flick ... I think I preferred the South Park flick, but only by a nose

Larry "Buzz" Buchanan said...

I have not seen the South Park movie. Always wanted to, just never had the time. The Wife and I usually watch things together most of the time, and she can not stand South Park. Now I have a job where twice a week I work at home and nobody else is around. The perfect time to watch something like that. :)