Monday, March 27, 2006

Things to Do in Denver When You're On a Lunch Break, Part 1.

I've been on this eating plan for a while called the Six Week Body Makeover. It's been taking longer then six weeks, but I do feel madeover. One of the things they recommend is taking a 45 minute walk. You should do this 5 or more times a week, they say. So come lunch hour, I bug out of my office and walk the hub of downtown Denver, otherwise known as the Sixteen St. Mall.

The Sixteen St. Mall is a closed street; the only vehicles allowed are these Hybrid Shuttle Buses, cops, and the occasional "whoops" driver. It travels from Wynkoop to Broadway and according to Downtown Denver Partnership, it is sixteen blocks and a mile long. My office is is somewhere in the middle. On some lunch hours, I walk down to Wynkoop to the Tattered Cover Bookstore, one of the largest Independent stores in the good ol' U.S. of A. (I'll talk about this store sometime soon.) On the other end at Broadway is my favorite sammich place, Jimmy Johns. In between, there are stores and food places and hot dog stands and pushy necktied business people and street corner musicians wearing Mouse ears and plenty of homeless. There are also a few empty buildings that could use some life. Some sly entrepreneur or Trump-Apprentice Wannabe (but not Brent) should come in an open up some sort of business.

So, after walking this street for 15 months now I thought I would do is bounce an idea around and see if it sticks. Here is what I would like to see in the mall. Entrepreneurs and money-men take note. This business will do great!

An Ice Cream Shoppe/Parlour/Place

It surprises me that someone has not opened up a Cold Stone Creamery or a Baskin Robbins or even Dairy Queen. I can only thing of two places in the Mall where you can get some. The first is Sonic. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good Sonic Shake once in a while. I still want the pure ice cream experience; frying meat does not get me in an ice cream mood. The second is some Deli with some name that I can't remember. It's a deli; what more can you say. Oh and I guess you can get Ice Cream at McDonalds. Still, there is no place that offers 20 or more flavors, like "Cake Batter" or "Pink Bubble Gum." When I walk into an Ice Cream Parlor, I want to smell the vanilly whiff of waffles baking and curling. I want to walk into the door feel the cold circle around and embrace like a favorite aunt. I want to see teens in paper hands handing out tasty samples in little pink plastic spoons. Is it really to much to ask?

So all you Denver entreprenuers with your venture capital and open accounts. Let's get cracking. This is a gold mine; a veritible Denver Mint. Any lunch hour you can see lines at Starbucks and Jamba Juice. An Ice Cream Parlor will have them there all-freakin-day! Listen to Larry. He's got ideas. He can't follow through with them cause he is basically po' white trash, but he is an idea man.

Consider this one a free-bie. Heck, they will all be free-bies, cause as I said. I am broke. I can't even finance a gumball machine.

If you do take this ball and run with it, let me know. A place like that needs good counter help. I'm available after 4:30 and on weekends. Since I'm on week 29 of the 6 Week Body Makeover, you won't even have to worry about me touching the merchandise.

No comments: