Thursday, April 06, 2006

A Free Night of the Creeps

Late last year, Lawrence Jr. got a job at on the local movieplexes. He works about 20-some hours a week. He likes the job fine. Of course, the benefit is that the Buchanan family gets to get into movies free. Last week, while I was at work, he took The Wife and Laurita to see Failure to Launch. (Which was fine by me, cuz I had no interest in seeing another lame rom-com.) Me, I got my free movie tonight. Lawrence Jr and I went to see Slither. (The Wife and Laurita sayed home and rented a movie on the Dish. I think they saw Just Like Heaven. Lame Rom-Com.)

Slither is a horror-comedy directed by Kirk on Gilmore Girls brother. It stars that guy from Firefly, Betty Brant from Spiderman 1 and 2, Henry the Serial Killer and that annoying doofus that Mel Gibson needed to kill in Payback. (With special guest appearance by Pam from The Office, and voice cameo by Rob Zombie.) It's basically a 80's horror movie, the type I would see with my college room-mates at the local cineplex in Barb City.


It's a pretty simple story.

Man meets Woman. Man marries Woman. Man gets infected by meteor-riding-alien-needle-worm, and turns into a raw-meat-dog-cat-possum-devouring squid monster while still carrying a torch for the Woman. Man gets another Woman to become a breeding womb for a butt-load of red squirmies, which the red squirmies infected townspeople by going down their gullet. Other Man who likes the first Woman battles zombie-hive-mind-townspeople to save the Woman from the raw-meat-dog-cat-possum-human-devouring squid Man.

See. It's that simple.

Slither is a fun movie. The characters have some good lines. Only one is a teenager. The rest of the cast are actually actors who have personality. There are pleny of in-jokes and winks to to the horror fan. (I won't spoil them, but for me, I love the name of the Lodge in the movie.) It does remind me of the Fred Dekker classic, Night of the Creeps. Slither's director, James Gunn, said he did not know of Creeps until after his movie was done. I just chalk it up to the sub-genre of films where slimy creatures crawl into people's orifices and take them over. (The Hidden, Star Trek 2: Wrath of Khan, Fahrenheit 911)

For a free movie, Slither was pretty good. I heard that it is not doing real great at the box office. I think it will be one of those films that will have quite the life on DVD. It's the Tremors for the 21st century. People will always watch it.

No comments: