Sunday, April 09, 2006

Sleepytime Tee Vee

First of all, let me qualify this by saying I love watching television. I think I've said before, I believe we are in a quality time for TV. I have a Dish DVR with 100 hours of recording space, and half of hard drive is filled. (Or is it half empty?) I like the shows I watch. What I don't understand is this.

I fall asleep watching most of them. At some point, while watching television, I will nod off. It tends to happen around the 9:00 PM MST hour. It can happen any time. I get all comfortable on the couch. The Wife is by my side. I watch any show, Bones, Veronica Mars, Battlestar Galactica, Gilmore Girls, whatever. At some point I will nod off. Sometimes The Wife will notice. She'll tap my arm. She'll yell my name. Other times she won't catch it unless I am sleeping through the commercials. (We usually watch shows on the DVR, so we can usually skip commercials.) I pop awake and act like I was paying attention the whole time. The Wife usually laughs at this. I end up watching the show the next day, fast-forwarding to the parts I missed. I can usually stay awake during Sit-Coms. Usually. Of course, The Wife has her own TV Ambien. All I need to do is put on Saturday Night Live or Real Time with Bill Maher and she is dead to the world.


One way to help with this issue is that I watch shows on Sunday Morning, especially shows that I have to pay attention: Lost, Veronica Mars, 24. Another way is that I will watch the shows on my lunch hour at work. Tuesdays and Thursday I can telecommute, so I can plant my butt with laptop and play TV catchup on shows I slept through the night before. Finally, I just play catch-up on the web. There are plenty of ways to do so.

Oh well, I better get going. I got two hours of Doctor Who to sleep through.

No comments: